Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Example LCA Study, Part II -- Comparison of Two Air Dusters

In the previous section, Part I, I explained the background for this study. This section, Part II,  includes all of the data used to conduct the LCA, plus the systems boundary.


The following two tables are the data collected and used for each duster product. Note: The process data for tin plated chromium steel was altered to reflect a recycled content of 20%.

Table 1. Data used for gas duster.


Table 2. Data used for bulb duster.


The following two figures are systems boundary diagrams for the two duster products. Note: I did not follow typical convention in creating these diagrams. Arrows indicate a process and boxes indicate a material or process. Solid arrows/boxes indicate that the process/material was included in the study. Dotted arrows/boxes indicate that the process/material was NOT included in the study.

Figure 1. System boundaries for the gas duster.


Figure 2. System boundaries for the bulb duster


In the next section, Part III, I will share the results of the LCA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment